On the third day of the Republican National Convention, Trump officials, Trump family members, and other Republicans continue to smear Democrats and Joe Biden with lies.
Example 1: Senator Joni Ernst tells Americans that “If given power, they would essentially ban animal agriculture and eliminate gas-powered cars.”
The truth is that Joe Biden’s climate plan is the most progressive platform of of any would-be president. His plan does have aggressive goals for phasing out the internal combustion engine and reducing emissions from animal agriculture. However, cows aren’t going to be banned, and neither are gas powered vehicles.
Example 2: Senator Marsha Blackburn warns that “If the Democrats had their way, they would keep you locked in your house until you become dependent on the government.” The message is geared to support a conspiracy theory that the virus isn’t serious; it’s only a vehicle for government control.
When asked a week ago if Joe Biden would order a nationwide lockdown to combat coronavirus, the vice president said he would follow recommendations from scientists.
Example 3: Eric Trump’s wife, Lara Trump, warns that all Democrats are leftist, coastal elites. One, that’s suggesting that there are no Democrats in the center of the country. Two, the Trump family has lived as coastal elites for generations, and Donald Trump used to be further left than most Democrats.
Example 4: Kayleigh McEnany tells Americans that Donald Trump is the best president for people with pre-existing medical conditions.
Mike Pence’s speech is the most riddled with lies. Just a few examples:
- Only Donald Trump can stop the violence in the streets, but only if you re-elect him. Donald Trump has the same power now that he would have if he’s re-elected.
- “We’ll have a coronavirus vaccine by the end of the year.” There is little evidence of this being true. If it does happen, it will not be available to the public, and it will have nothing to do with the administration.
- “President Trump kept his word again. We reformed the VA, and Veterans Choice is now available for every veteran in America.” Veterans Choice is an Obama administration law from 2014.
- Department of Homeland Security official Dave Patrick Underwood was killed because of the violence in Democrat cities. His murderer was an Air Force sergeant linked to a far-right anti-government movement.
- Donald Trump gave the U.S. energy independence. The United States still relies significantly on imports of oil and natural gas.
- “Joe Biden wants to end school choice.” Joe Biden wants the government to stop providing vouchers and funding for private schools. He supports improving the voucher program for high-performing public schools.
- “No one who required a ventilator was ever denied a ventilator in the United States.” Hospitals across the country were in such high demand for ventilators that Trump accused governors of lying and then forced them to bid state funds in an auction against other countries.
That’s not even half of the verified lies that are spouted throughout the evening.
Photo: Gage Skidmore