Mike Pence writes an op-ed for The Heritage Foundation‘s “news” website attacking H.R. 1, an election integrity bill that would combat dark money in politics, guarantee voting rights, and require all future presidential candidates to release their tax returns.
H.R. 1, the For The People Act, as it stands at the moment would:
- Make it harder for states to discriminate against low-income and minority voters
- Auto-register voters whose information has not changed
- Guarantee access to mail-in and early voting
- Restore voting rights to former felons who have served their time
- Require bipartisan commissions to redraw district lines, ending a system that allowed state lawmakers to choose who votes for them
- Require tech platforms like Facebook and Google to disclose political advertising information
- Require presidential candidates to disclose their tax returns
- Require all states to provide paper ballots — either marked by hand or machine — that voters can review before their vote is submitted
- Combat dark money campaign donations with new disclosure requirements
- Prevent states from using machines manufactured by foreign countries
Right now, there are over 250 bills led by Republicans in state legislatures that would make it harder to vote, both by mail and in-person.
It’s obvious why Mike Pence and other Republicans oppose the For The People Act, but if you want to read Pence’s propaganda letter, you can do so at the link below.
Leaders at The Heritage Foundation are members of the Council for National Policy, which you should read more about here.